Friday, February 20, 2009

Winter Passing

I have had the hardest week in a while. Work has become steadily more stressful, school is kicking into high gear, with tests seemingly every week, and little time to process it all. And on top of it all, it is winter...technically anyway. I have lived here for close to nine years and I am still not used to sixty and seventy degree winter days. Warm winter has kind of saddened me, which seems to be the opposite of everyone I speak to. I feel like a curmudgeon, raining on everyone's good weather mood. At work, I have to fake liking it, which eats away at me, since I wish I could be honest and tell them, "No, the weather outside sucks, and I hate it. See ya latte, have a grande!"

I have decide that some day in the near future, I am going to have Honesty Day. If someone at work asks how I am, I will answer with the mosy honest answer possible without getting fired. So, if on this holiday, it is a particularly rough day and someone asks "How has today been?" I will simply answer, "Crappy. A lady was rude with me, the high school kids have annoyed me to the brink of insanity, and I dumped hot coffee on my arm and burned it. How's your day?"

I have observed that people say "How are you?" out of sheer politeness, not out of care. I am just as guilty as anyone else. I would be just as shocked if someone gave me an answer that was different than "good" or "alright". Why can't we say we aren't good or alright? Would it be considered lying if you say good when you are obviously not?

2 comments:

  1. Honesty days are what keep me going. I can appreciate that. There is nothing like answering someones rhetorical question with a real response. "How are you today?" They don't expect a reply, so when you give one, it throws they for a loop. Most people don't care how you are. I find that rhetorical question people cannot handle what I am dropping on top of them. It is as if I have pick up the box and crushed it on top of their face, figuratively speaking. My advice is to learn a new language and reply to their BS question in it. Oh and have a big .... eating grin on your face when you do, so they know you mean buisness. Godspeed your way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. But consider the person you're talking to! I asked a coworker at the bookstore how he was, and he unloaded on my about his divorce, his wife's restraining order, and the mandatory counseling sessions--I was stunned. I hadn't seen the guy in several weeks, and he was a former student, too! That goes under "TMI"--I don't need to know all this stuff.

    K. Smith
    Eng. 226

    ReplyDelete